Subject: [Leica] Is it just me?
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Nov 29 13:16:00 2006

Philip

I feel similar. Fast primes is what I like, plus some slow primes which are
extremely compact. Have never been a big fan of tri-whatevers. Their
versatility in terms of focal lengths is eaten up by slowness and bulkyness,
not talking of the price. It's a kind of zoom for RF systems. Not so smooth
like a slr zoom, but as slow and even more expensive.

The Tri-E is likely intended for the M8, where it produces field of views of
21-24-28, that's admittedly (a little) bit more variation. I use 21mm or
28mm lenses on film cameras often, but rarely have both with me, and have
never missed the one I left home. Stepping around, or making other framings,
is ok for me.

What concerns Leica's marketing strategy, I have given up trying to
understand. A fast wide below 28mm would sell much more, IMO, than this
particular lens. But so what. I use their gear which suits me well and don't
care about the rest.

Didier