Subject: [Leica] Wanted: Noctilux NOW 35 SUMMILUX
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri Dec 1 21:26:43 2006

Ric Carter asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Wanted: Noctilux

> Okay, I'm interested. Who else can share experience with this lens?
> > I'm more interested in performance on M6/7.
> > Is it a good alternative to the Summilux 35? What are the trade offs?
> Have you used both?<<<<

Hi Ric,
yep! :-)

The 1.4 Summilux? Probably since 1967 under all kinds of lighting and
weather conditions. Never failed me wide open to stopped down! Up until the
Nokton the other day with the M8 it never occurred to me to use anything
else. I've made lots of 16X20 prints using the 351.4 Summilux from Tri-x
rated at 800 without any problem. Actually there are many prints that size
in the National Archives of Canada collection of my work. Damn fine lens
indeed.

The only reason I bought the Nokton was at the time it seemed there was a
great deal of chatter on the LUG about the lens and being nearly as fast as
the Noctilux. So in one of my weaker moments, fast glass and great looking
women create my weaker moments! ;-) I ordered it! :-)

Then never used it until the other day! We'd finished shooting for the book
by the time it arrived so there wasn't any reason to take it out of the box.
And only because I had the M8 I thought what the hell lets have a look. And
I'm more than pleasantly surprised with the Nokton's image cutting crispness
and sharpness!

I suppose now I've let this out of the bag I'll have to give it a try with
film of some kind, someone else can develop and I'll scan the negs.

There isn't any question it appears the Nokton cuts a "crisper" looking
image than the 1.4 Summilux wide open, now I have to say that's digital to
film. Originally it would never occur to me to "test these lenses" one
against the other at anytime, that's not my thing.

However, the bottom line reason for purchasing the Nokton was an f 1.2 lens
that could work very nicely along side my Noctilux f 1.0! And darn near the
same physical size, weight and aperture.

Not sure this is of any use but that's a tad bit from experience.

ted

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Wanted: Noctilux NOW 35 SUMMILUX)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Wanted: Noctilux)
Message from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Wanted: Noctilux)