Subject: [Leica] try to do this with modern film/digital
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Tue Dec 5 18:05:06 2006

Sonny and all,
Part of the problem with poverty in the southern U.S is that landholding
was/is concentrated in large tracts owned by a very few individuals.  Yes,
there were some small tracts owned by small landholders such as Sonny's
grandfather and also more concentrated in Tennessee and Arkansas but in the
old cotton belts there were landholders who owned very large tracts of
land.  My great grandfather for example came down with General Pershing
during the Mexican American war and while bivouacked near Greenville, MS
took note that the soil was more than 200 feet of wonderful, fertile, well
watered, rock free loam.  After the war with help from his dad he bought
almost 7000 acres of land in two plantations.

With wealth concentrated in a very few hands, if you had any snap you went
somewhere else.  For the African-Americans that meant the slaughterhouses in
Chicago or the auto plants in the upper Midwest.  Or, in my families case as
the daughter in the family a good education and life somewhere else.   So,
if in five to ten generations of your brightest or entrepreneurial leaving
you end up with a very few truly talented and or truly rich surrounded by
those who don't have much ambition or talent or education in the Boolean
sense.  So, to this day, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and the Carolina's
continue to lead the country to the bottom.

As the northerners continue to move south away from high taxes and cold
winters there is a real demand for better education. less tolerance for
endemic corruption, and a push for mostly good government.  For outsiders
nothing has changed but to those of us who grew up in the deep south or
spent a lot of time growing up there everything has changed.  The endemic
racism is mostly gone.  Government is mostly truly by the people.  Abject
povery is mostly gone but a whole lot more needs to happen if everybody is
going to have a fair shake at an improved life over their parents.  Even a
fair number of ex-pats who moved north are coming back with whole new skill
sets to add to the community.

Truly stepping in it,

Don
don.dory@gmail.com