Subject: [Leica] High ISOs Comparison
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Wed Dec 6 16:45:53 2006

> Tina:
>
> 3600 for the Canon?  Do you mean 3200?  I can't see that 3200 is anybody
> than 1600 underexposed by a stop, so I now longer use 3200.
>
> What I have found is that the same sharpness I could get with my M6 + 35mm
> at 1/30th of a second requires 1/60th of a second with my 5D for a single
> shot.  Rangefinder vs. SLR.  Advantage, Leica.
>
> What I have found is that with careful technique, I can usually get a
> sharp
> image at 1/30 or 1/15 with my 5D if I slowly squeeze off several frames in
> row.  Advantage, Canon.
>
> With my Leica, if I could see it, I could focus.  And shoot it.  Not quite
> so easy with the 5D.  Even with a 35/1.4 lens and the non-default focusing
> screen that makes focusing faster lenses easier.  Advantage, Leica.
>
> Somebody had posted comparison shots between the M8 and 5D over on
> photo.net
> that favored the M8 by using a slow shutter speed and shooting wide open..
> The $3400 35 'lux beats the $1100 Canon 35/1.4L wide open.  The thread has
> since been deleted, but it did illustrate there certain times when the
> Canon
> high ISOs don't make up for mirror slap and lesser lenses.

Eric, these are all good points, and the other thing I would say, is that
at the high ISO's, the canon images always look as if they have been
already given a noise reduction filter. The noise is less, but the image
looks a bit "smooth". When I have taken a very slow shutter speed with the
M8, a message comes up on the screen about applying noise reduction, so I
presume most manufacturers are doing this?

Cheers

Replies: Reply from faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)
Message from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] High ISOs Comparison)