Subject: [Leica] High ISOs Comparison
From: xrogers at comcast.net (Clyde Rogers)
Date: Thu Dec 7 06:27:16 2006

That makes sense---if you use different converters with the 5D and
M8, it would be hard to know what was causing differences.  I've used
Raw Developer for the Canon for nearly a year, and also prefer it for
the M8.

To be completely clear, I used my standard "quick" workflow (the one
I use for snapshots and quick proofing) for all the images---adjust
white balance and exposure (I did white balance for all images, both
the Canon and Leica blew it, and tweeked exposure about a fifth of a
stop for the Canon), shut off all noise reduction (I generally don't
care for noise reduction, but will use it in some situations), and
batch process.

I also included black and white conversions because that's what I'd
really do with these kind of shots.  I typically prefer black and
white to color, especially at high ISO.  I've never kept an ISO 1600
or 3200 color print from the Canon (tried one, tore it up, haven't
tried again), just black and white (and I don't hesitate to use the
Canon for high ISO black and white, I really do like it).  I expect
the same for the Leica at ISO 1250 and 2500.  So far, I prefer the
Leica's black and white to the Canon's---it's quicker and easier to
get something that looks "right", whatever right means...

I also included M8 images without sharpening, because I haven't
settled on whether or not I'll capture sharpen with the camera.  I
need to see more prints before I can decide, and of course, my
printer is flaking out.  I hope the new one gets here soon!

--clyde