Subject: [Leica] High ISOs Comparison
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Thu Dec 7 08:10:52 2006

Frank Filippone <red735i@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Now all the issue of SW comes up.  Valid comments.  And maybe now we are
getting to
> the core of the comparison issues....   Film allows you to standardize
"process flow"
> and many variables to test Minox against 11x14 B+J.  Digital camera
models can not
> easily be compared.  We tried it and saw differences.

I think what we're seeing here is that with film lots of the poorer
combinations of emulsions and development have already been tried and
rejected; the process has been tested and results analyzed enough over the
decades that there's already a vast body of knowledge to draw on.  Digital
image processing is still relatively new and with each new camera we're
back at the bottom of its learning curve, just like with a new film or
developer.

> ... given all the different possibilities, how do you find the "best"
workflow for
> each?  Try all the combinations out?

This is exactly what Adams and many others did for
film/exposure/development, and what Tina is now doing with the 5D and M8.

> Ever wonder why some don't use digital cameras.......?

... and why I don't develop my film?

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com