Subject: [Leica] Re: Chimps and gorillas
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Tue Dec 12 09:25:19 2006

larry.k@rcn.com wrote:

>Walt,
>  I don't discount our human failings but humans continue to thrive and
> make incredible advances. I thought I was a cynic, but you beat me.

I'm not a cynic I a Secular Pragmatist or maybe a Photographic Humanist

>>>This "immensely improved" aspect might need a closer >>inspection. I'd
>>>gladly give up Beethoven, Bach and the >>Beatles for a more peaceful
>>>existence.
>>>

>  Give up such amazing music for grunting in the bush? Not me. I might go
> back if we only had the Beatles... ;-)

While you are grunting I'll be humming Chopin and Johnny Cash.

>>>Visit a geriatrics ward and see how breathtaking modern
>>>medicine can be.
>>>

>  The fact that these people are still above ground and not below ground
> proves the value of modern medicine. The fact that society does not allow
> them to contribute or gives them respect in old age is another matter.

They may be above ground but mostly to make Medicare payments. As has
been said many times, "give me a good death rather than a bad life"

>>Math, physics and optics are major servants of
>>governments. They  in turn use these accomplishments to wage >war with
>>human decency and each other.
>>

>  The computers we use, the lenses we buy, are all products of human
> thought. All human inventions can be used for good or ill purposes.

Why is it so difficult to insist on good purposes, seems elementary to me.

>>I'll accept  these breathtaking human accomplishments but >not when
>>compared to chimps. Let's weight them with what >could or should have been
>>done with our alleged superior >capabilities.
>>

>  I don't see how this makes any sense. Nothing against the chimps but
> we've outperformed our cousins by a large margin, even with all of our
> problems.

I was not comparing accomplishments to chimps but keeping my eyes open
for *Overman*.