Subject: [Leica] A newbie here..
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed Dec 13 11:22:33 2006

Alex offered:
>>but in most
> cases was a split second to late to click, besides I couldn't afford any
> real machine-gun shooting because of shooting film, not digital, so the
> longest burst I allowed to myself were 2-3 frames. <<<<

Alex mon ami,
Machine gunning "sport action" is almost a guarantee you'll miss the peak
action. Not always, but more times than relying on your own instinct and
re-action to the action.

Your re-action time in how fast you re-act to the action is shortened by
experience. In other words the more you shoot sports or action related
subjects the faster you become at capturing the key moment. With one frame!
Or the first frame if using a motor drive.

Anticipation of the action comes with experience and knowing the sport.

Long before there were motor-drives news photographers shot action soccer
matches and football with Speed Graphic 4X5 sheet film. Like one sheet at a
time, so ones re-action was the key of successful action photos.

Your change in equipment does make it difficult shooting some sport events.
However, if possible where you can get on the sidelines you can still get
some interesting moments... Unfortunately if it's football you could be run
over by high flying ball players sometime. :-( Basically don't go there! :-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road
Victoria BC  V8N 2A4
250-477-2156

Replies: Reply from alex at zabrovsky.com (Alex) ([Leica] A newbie here..)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] A newbie here..)
Message from alex at zabrovsky.com (Alex) ([Leica] A newbie here..)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] A newbie here..)
Message from alex at zabrovsky.com (Alex) ([Leica] A newbie here..)