Subject: [Leica] In Shock
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Fri Dec 15 07:36:52 2006

On 15 Dec 2006 at 8:33, Daniel Ridings wrote:

> I need clarification on that. I am probably not understanding something,
> but the way I read it.
>
> 1) Each deal looses a little
> 2) Volume means eventually losing a lot (Volume x "a little" = a lot)
>
> What am I missing?

It's an old joke... but the REAL joke is that when you really
understand how accounting works, it's entirely possible.

To borrow from public figures, it all depends on what the meaning of
IS is.... or, in this case, what definitions of "cost" and "losing
money" we're using, and it involves accountants, lawyers, and
marketing consultants.  It's convoluted and not really fun.

VERY simplified example.  (Skip this if there's paint drying within a
few miles -- go make interesting photos...)

Basic:  cost comes in two forms, for our purposes:  indirect and
direct.  Direct costs are the costs involved in getting the product
on the shelf.  Indirect costs are the costs involved in having the
shelf there in the first place and getting customers into the store
to buy things off it.

Hypothetically, I own a shop that sells, oh, let's say M8's.
(obligatory on-topic reference. I don't, don't bother ordering.)

I buy M8's direct from Solms, delivered to my back dock, for $500
each, (again, hypothetically and in our collective dreams), and
that's the "direct cost" of the camera.

But "indirect" costs have to be paid too, and I still have to cover
those from camera sales, so what I do is allocate those costs to each
unit of product when I calculate the price.  Indirect costs here are
$500 a month for the entire store, (cheap storefront, bad
neighborhood, insurance by Smith and Wesson) and I think I can
probably move, oh, five bodies a month, so that's another $100 per
camera that I have to get if I want to stay in business over the long
haul... so my "cost" on the camera is going to be about $600 each.

SALE:  M8's, $550 each, while stock of 20 lasts.

Losing my ass, or at least $50 each, right?

Not exactly.

If I sell the cameras for LESS than $600 each, then by strict
accounting standards I'm actually losing money on each sale, because
I'm not covering the FULL cost of getting the camera to the customer,
including the indirect costs of owning the store.

The hook here is that the cost I have to meet ISN'T actually $600,
it's "$500 direct plus part of indirect cost"  - anything over the
direct cost is a contribution toward the total indirect cost.

So each M8 that goes out at $550 makes a $50 contribution, and if I
sell all 20, that's a thousand bucks - and I'm in high cotton
watching out for GB's sheep.

I've "lost money" on each sale, based on theoretical (but legal and
very necessary) accounting standards and practices -- but I've made
it up on volume, based on real world numbers.

Can't speak for you guys but I need coffee now.

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com

Replies: Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] In Shock)