Subject: [Leica] IMG end of the world
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Dec 15 15:54:59 2006

>I have this feeling that not very many Luggers recognized the object
>in Ric Carter's photo as the abandoned skeleton of a horizontal
>process camera. Clearly those of us who have actually used them knew
>what it was. But I must confess that it doesn't look a whole lot
>like a camera to anybody who hasn't met one.
>
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/Grab-Bag/camera.jpg.html
>
>The process camera was used to photograph a "mechanical", which is
>to say a page layout, to produce copies ("photomechanical
>transfers"), plates, or films. Nowadays everybody just uses
>computer-to-plate or computer-to-press, except for the diehard
>traditionalists who still use imagesetters....

We sometimes used PMT's in higher quality architectural presentation
layouts in the 70's and 80's when diazo prints would be too fuzzy.
Cost an arm and a leg in comparison with the diazos, but the contrast
and crispness couldn't be approached for less until laser printers
came out.

I got a couple of barrel mounted Apo-Ronars from process cameras that
I used with a Sinar mechanical auto-shutter on my view cameras.

All kinds of things that are fading and getting forgotten.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design