Subject: [Leica] New. cheap Hexar RF eyepiece/diopters
From: dstella1 at ameritech.net (Dante Stella)
Date: Thu Dec 21 05:42:09 2006

I was puttering around with a magnifier for my Kodak 14n and
discovered that unleashing a 1.2x on a full-size 35mm. medium-
eyepoint, viewfinder was not such a hot idea.  Specifically, it gives
you a headache.

BUT

Then it occurred to me that something else was possible.

I took that DK-21M (the new Nikon magnifier for D200 and other
rectangular eyepieces) ($25 at Adorama)  and figured out that the
recess on its camera mounting side will fit OVER the Hexar RF eyepiece.

$2 of Loctite mounting putty (the blue, 2kg test plasticine used to
mount posters), rolled up in two small "sticks" goes on the back of
the left and right camera contact surfaces of the DK-21.  Press onto
the Hexar around the eyepiece (putting the eyepiece below the little
"ledge" on the camera side of the magnifier... and voila!  .72x
Hexar.  You can't see the shutter speeds, but who pays attention to
that?

The eyepiece is fully removable and when mounted, does not interfere
with the film door.  I'm sure that Velcro (or neodymium magnets)
would be a better mount in the long term (the magnifier has magnetic
screws on the camera-side face), but I haven't had time to explore
that yet.  The Loctite is nice because if you pull it quickly, it
comes off the DK-21 in one piece.  Not for rough play, but enough to
do the job most of the time.

As to the DK-21M, it has its own removable eyecup.  I suspect that if
you removed it, you could attach Nikon rectangular diopters to it,
which would solve another Hexar shortage.

You might be able to do this on a Leica M as well, although the
camera body material may be too slippery (the Hexar's is a matte
black epoxy paint) - and you might have to resort to adhesive velcro
or something.

Dante

Dante Stella
http://www.dantestella.com