Subject: [Leica] Filter for the M8 B+W 486
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Thu Dec 21 18:14:20 2006

At 5:19 PM -0800 12/21/06, Frank Filippone wrote:
>I tend to agree.... If Brand N or C can do the coatings, Leica
>could.  It is not impossible....  The SLR retrofocus lenses do allow
>the light rays to attack the sensor plate at a more perpendicular
>angle than say the 21 SA.... But I am not sure that even the
>angles the Leica lenses would make would affect the outcome....These
>coatings are angstroms thick, and even at an angle, they would
>not change significantly in thickness ( in % it appears a lot, but
>you must think in terms of absolute thickness and the effect of
>that extra thickness..)

A fairly small change in the angle of incidence can negate the effect
of an interference filter. I don't want to do the calculation right
now, but I wouldn't be surprised if the differences in the Leica M
and DSLR incidence angles are enough to greatly influence the outcome.

Hot filters in front of the lens would have a similar problem, though.