Subject: [Leica] Internet Frustration!! O.T.
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Fri Dec 29 17:39:53 2006

Hello Luggers,
I didn't realize how addicted I am to the LUG and the photographs
posted on it until I couldn't access most of the photos any more! :-(
The Boxing Day 7.2 magnitude earthquake off Taiwan disrupted 6 of the
7 undersea cables carrying internet between Asia and North America.
Service is still not restored completely because rough seas are
preventing the repair ships from raising and fixing the cables. The
result is that, although the LUG has come back on (slowly), I can't
access pictures posted on the LUG if they are put up on servers
located in NA because service is so slow that my server times them
out before they load.
So, I can read comments about pictures but can't see them for
myself.  The situation is predicted to go on for several more days if
not a week or more. Just wanted to share
how frustrating this is and how vulnerable the internet really
is . . . Food for thought.
Howard
(isolated and picture-less in Hong Kong)

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Internet Frustration!! O.T.)