Subject: [Leica] WTB : Noctilux (UK)
From: alal at duke.poly.edu (A. Lal)
Date: Mon Jan 1 07:30:47 2007

Actually a 35/1.4 gathers less light than a 50/1.4. Remember, the light
gathering ability depends on the absolute aperture. The absolute aperture, D
=  (focal length)/(f- number), assuming non retrofocus construction.

For a given exposure the brightness of an image of an extended object
depends on  the number of photons per unit area, while for a point object
the image brightness depends on the total number of photons.

Thus, if you are photographing a normal scene, similar f- (actually, T- )
stops will give similar exposures, irrespective of the focal length. On the
other hand, when taking photos of point sources like stars, the absolute
aperture counts. Thus, a 180 mm f/2.8 lens will image fainter stars than a
50mm/1.4 lens.