Subject: [Leica] Annie Liebovitz on PBS' "American Masters"
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Thu Jan 4 08:33:00 2007

My wife and I watched it last night.  We liked it a lot.

We're in the same age group as Annie, so had a strong appreciation of
the arc of her career, age-wise

Interesting to see her with the M7 and Motor Winder following (and
often directing) Barishnikov around the dance floor.

Also observed that she goes back to the M from time to time for
personal or more intimate settings; Sonnetag's dying days, children,
Sarajevo, etc.

SIDEBAR (some actual current Leibovitz content, so stay with me, here):

A commercial photog on the same flight back from Phoenix with my wife
and I last week commented on my plain brown canvas Domke bag, in which
most of my R gear was stashed (R9, Motor Drive, 28-90, 70-180, Metz
flash, Ergo Rest plus my T2).  He remarked, "you must be a Lieca
shooter - they all carry Domkes".

For some reason I was offended.  Bag Stereotyping?  In fact I thought
he was alluding to M users, who I used to stereotype as using nothing
but Billingham (I lusted after their Storm bag - don't get me wrong).
But, let's face it; he was 30-something and maybe he learned that in a
class.

Fact is, we all use whatever we end up with.  I have 3 different bags,
all different brands.

So we start talking in the terminal, sort of a truncated dialog as we
rush to seperate connecting flights.  I manage to get out of him that
he's on assignment, and in the big photo back pack is an RZ kit he
shoots with.

In parting, he told me a short story about a family member needing an
M8 for their daughter's (graduation? assignment? couldn't hear that too
well in the hubub of the terminal.  The kicker was they couldn't find
an M8 for sale anywhere in NYC, ended up somehow getting Annie's M8.

Did Annie sell it through her agent?  Did she give it to them?  A
loaner for a friend's kid?  Was she sick of her M8?

I don't know.  For that matter, did the guy on the plane make this
whole story up?

All I did was carry on an old rat brown canvas photo bag.  Small world.

Strange, but small.

Bob in Seattle