Subject: [Leica] A tripod, an M8, and two candles
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun Jan 7 14:13:07 2007

My suspicion is that the blue and purple stuff below the flame (around the
glass) are warm gasses that are giving off IR only, and no visible
light.  The various RGB sensors "see" the IR, and the camera interprets the
data as if it were visible light, resulting in a false color.

The purple halos around the flames are probably a combination of the above,
plus ordinary purple fringing around a high-contrast edge. Plus, the
fringing may be wider than you'd see on other cameras because the detected
IR is also slightly out of focus.

--Peter