Subject: [Leica] Opinions about Nikor 50mm/1,4 LTM?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jan 11 19:04:36 2007

On 1/11/07 9:06 PM, "Jayanand Govindaraj" <jayanand@gmail.com> typed:

> At least here in India, practically every Leica lens from the 1950s that I
> have seen has haze and scratches, could it be due to the heat & humidity?
> Haze seems to be easy enough to remove, but the scratching quite often is
> pretty severe, especially from cleaning the front of the lens. In fact most
> of us here who use these cameras prefer Nikon/Canon lenses and bodies in
> the
> LTM mount, as they are much easier to use, and the lenses are generally in
> much better shape.
> Cheers
> Jayanand

Ah yes well bodies get thrown into the mix at the very end there don't they!
But haze in bodies are never a big problem is it? :)

But as far as glass goes here lots of people if they buy a lens which is
many decades old that they really want to use seriously have no problem with
the idea of having it cleaned as part of the deal before they get to use it.
But yes a Nikon or Canon optic will much more often not really need this
step as much as a Leica lens would.
You want the imitable fingerprint the optic gives  you to be from the
optical formal. Not infant formula. And not the last guys index finger.

I'm sure there area plenty of people in India and just anywhere who know
that the only way to get a Leica lens is to get a Leica lens.
-
lots of Leica shooters are using Canon glass on their Nikon bodies. Its is
so much easier and faster and cheaper and better...
And all my friends are doing it.

Cheers

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY