Subject: [Leica] 400mm f6.8 Telyt problem
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sat Jan 13 11:29:13 2007

I just returned from the dealer. We tried everything. Tried it on a
R8 and a SL2 body. Same thing. We reseated everything. Tested the
lens head for tightness. Everything is fine. Then the dealer said he
would knock off $100 if I took it as is. I said OK. Figured it would
be a easy fix. Also don't plan on shooting 500 meters away anyway. I
stayed in the shop (my Saturday hangout) and about an hour later the
Leica rep came. I told him the next M8 coming in was mine plus told
him what I had for Leica gear. We discussed filters and stuff and how
I like shooting IR anyway. He then told me Leica will handle the
repair of the Telyt. And the dealer will stick by the discount. To
make a long story short, the lens is on its way to Leica. And my M8
should be in by the end of next week.

He also told me that Neal showed him the LUG yearbook. He was very
impressed. He even remembered my IR photo.

Oh, I also tried a Canon 400mm f5.6 L lens on a 20D body. That was
2nd choice for a long, light weight, hiking lens. The Telyt wins. I
will be using the Telyt on a 20D body though.

Len