Subject: [Leica] IMG: Teeth
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Jan 15 06:40:24 2007

At 09:27 AM 1/15/2007, you wrote:
>Tina,
>
>This is very interesting. I didn't know they had such a custom. Does
>this show a certain amount of wealth? Or is it simply decorative or
>good luck or religious?
>
>Len

I think it's all of the above, with some people doing it to show that
they can afford to and others being convinced by the ones who are
selling the process that it will make their teeth stronger and last
longer.  The people in the rural communities tend to lose their teeth
at a very early age because of poor nutrition.  The indigenous
Guatemalans love bright decorations on their clothes and houses so
this is taking it one step further!  Most of the decorations that
they choose have religious significance, too.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com

Message from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] IMG: Teeth)