Subject: [Leica] 28mm Summicron vignetting
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Mon Jan 15 18:45:16 2007

Len thanks for posting some stuff so promptly. It's very enjoyable to be
discussing actual Leica photographs on the LUG! I agree
that the effect seems more apparent in your examples, perhaps, than mine.
Mine too would have been at moderate apertures. I may have
been misleading discussing the wide open performance. I think what we are
looking at is a sky polarisation effect rather than true
vignetting. It may be exacerbated by conversion to the digital versions that
we are all looking at. I notice this with conversion to
black and white particularly with significant tonal adjustments.
Another factor may be where we have cropped with the different shots. For my
images, I crop to A4 proportions. That typically
discards the extreme outside edges of the original 24 x36mm frame (where
some of the effect resides). Look carefully at the bottom
corners of Img145 from your son's examples.
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/LeonardT/28mm/Img145.jpg.html>
I don't see any effect in the bottom corners. It's not apparent in shots
where the bottom corners are very dark, of course. That
might square with my polarisation theory.

When I look carefully, on a light box at my Velvia originals, the effect is
much less apparent, as well.

Herr Puts describes the 2 28 asph as having marginally higher fall off than
the Elmarit and the new 2.8 28 asph sounds very
interesting indeed, doesn't it?
I think that the current 28 is an absolute triumph of design and a lens that
I really enjoy using.

Cheers
Hoppy