Subject: [Leica] Re: Camera or photographer?
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Mon Jan 15 23:28:58 2007

I think the equipment can make a difference. I remember Beaton (I
think) finding that he could no longer use a Rolleiflex, as he was no
longer communicating with his sitters. He found a larger format
opened his eyes again. For me, buying a camera without a lightmeter
made me think about light and try to "learn" more about it, when I
had left my mind in neutral for so long with the TTL auto settings.
Forcing myself to use the rangefinders the way HCB and Ted do during
FOM2 has made me a better (not good, but better ;-) ) street
photographer, and slowing down with George Lauterstein and a tripod
has made my landscape work become more "cerebral" (again not good,
just more cerebral ;-) )

There are horses for courses. 5 years ago, I was convinced that if I
was left with only one camera it would be my M6 with 35 asph. Still a
good choice, but perhaps the next few years will see me change course
again.

Cheers