Subject: [leica] photographing the homeless
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson)
Date: Fri Jan 19 23:05:39 2007

Tina that's a potent photo and very worthy of publication. I would like to
contribute to the discussion. How do you think that image
would compare to one of the same person sitting at home out of the regalia,
perhaps surrounded by grandchildren? Inevitably each
image would call forth different emotions from the viewer. Sometimes very
different ones from the same image.
Images in my opinion are the most powerful tool to express or sway opinions.
Frequently now, too we see news events staged or
manipulated for the photo opportunity by the participants. In my opinion, it
is very challenging for the photographer to be truly
detached from the subject. That is not meant to be a value judgement about
the photography at all.

Cheers
Hoppy