Subject: [Leica] photographing the homeless
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Sat Jan 20 00:02:00 2007

I think you guys should just lighten up. Obviously the "commandments"
are somewhat tongue-in-cheek and as with the real thing, there is room
for interpretation. I do agree with Kyle that photographing sleeping
homeless people is like shooting fish in a barrel. On the other hand,
there is nothing wrong with photographing them after establishing
contact. Here is a picture of me doing it in London back in 2001,
courtesy the late Sal di Marco:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/sal.html
and here is the picture I took:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/12.jpg
I do not believe that this situation violated the PLUG commandment.

As for Kyle's credentials on this list: he, more than anyone else, is
responsible for the fact that we now post pictures on a regular basis. I
joined the list in 1998, and back then its main focus was on equipment.
At that time, I was getting into Leica, so that was extremely helpful to
me. The LUG was (and continues to be) the best source of information on
all things Leica. But there was precious little posting of images, and
not much discussion of photography. Partly of course this was due to
technological limitations: many people back then were on dial-up, so
posting and viewing images was not as pleasant an experience as it is
today, with everybody on broadband. But back in 2000, Kyle was the one
who suggested the Picture-A-Week project, created and made available a
simple template that people could use, and generally spurred us on to
share our images. This, in my book, makes him one of the heroes of the
LUG, along with (obviously) Brian and a few others.

As for the substance of the discussion--the issue of exploitation is as
old as journalism itself (not just photojournalism)--consider the debate
about the Migrant Mother image, or Capa's image from the Spanish Civil
War. Even Tina can be accused (not by me) of "exploiting" the people in
Central America she photographs so well, although in her case the
"exploitation" is designed to benefit these very people by raising the
profile of the charities that help them.

Nathan