Subject: [Leica] Re:photographing the homeless
From: larry.k at rcn.com (larry.k@rcn.com)
Date: Sat Jan 20 04:29:30 2007

  This may turn out very well for the homeless guy. All of this publicity
may spur
the city to actually do something and get him some treatment. If this is the
case,
every store in the city should "sue" the homeless camped in front of their
stores.
I could easily find you ten more guys who need help.

  Then again, if the homeless guy resists all offers of help from city
agencies,
what is to be done? Does the guy have a right to live on a public street,
urinate
in front of the store, and frighten away the guy's customers?

  Are we violating the homeless guys rights if we force him into a treatment
program? Hard questions all, and I don't have the answers.

  In America, we have so much freedom, haha, that we will let you die on the
streets, in plain view of millions of your fellow citizens, without anybody
doing
anything about it.

  So, what do the smug Europeans say on this subject? Do they have any
answers
to the plight of the homeless?

  Larry

------------------------
I would like to hear from the lawyer who took the case. In this type of
lawsuit, the lawyer's fee is usually on a contingency basis, so does he
really think that a homeless guy is going to be able to cough up $1
million? I know the dollar has recently declined against other
currencies, but $1M is still real money ;-)

Steve Unsworth wrote:
> Praise be to the USA where a homeless person can be sued for $1 million
>
> Steve
>

> On 19/1/07 21:15, "Thinkofcole@aol.com" <Thinkofcole@aol.com> wrote:
>

>> Here's an article from The New York Times on Thursday,  Jan. 18, with a
large
>> photograph of a homeless man, who was sued for  $1 million by a
Manhattan