Subject: [Leica] more omar (was re: photographing the homeless)
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Sat Jan 20 17:58:07 2007

Excellent photos.  The one time I was involved in something like this was a
photo project of residents at a local shelter, known as "The Rest".  It was
the only shelter open during the day.  There were other shelters open only
at night.  People could come in from the cold or heat, get some soap, mail
and so forth.  Most were mentally ill or substance dependent, but there were
some success stories, GED's with jobs and the like.  A friend who drew me
into the project did the photography, a Hasselblad (they used a device known
as a "film back" then) set on a tripod with studio lights against a plain
white sheet for a background.  I and others did the printing (this was at a
time when it was preferable to use "photo-sensitive" paper, chemistry and a
projection device known as an "enlarger").

The images were excellent, compelling.  They were displayed in an exhibit at
our state capitol, wrongly thinking that politicians might consider the
possibility that there were others in the world besides themselves.  At the
next fund-raising dinner, we noted that about 20% of the subjects were dead,
murders, frozen to death and so forth.  Then, our city pulled financial
support from the shelter and it closed.  One councilwoman suggested that the
support money would be better spent on bus tickets out of town.

I've never forgotten the images.  I don't know if they ever did any good,
but maybe a few were responsive.  I know it caused my wife and I to re-align
our charitable budget.

Ken