Subject: [Leica] M8 Battery Redux
From: scheng at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Tue Jan 23 10:07:15 2007

The normal instructions for charging Li-ion batteries from the
manufacturer for phones and laptops is to charge overnight(!!!) the
first time even though the chargers are fast chargers and the charge
indicator says it is ready. My H/W friend says there were some fuses
(?) in the battery which which has to be reset (not sure this is the
right terminology) by the overnight charge.

As for deep discharging li-ion batteries, it should be done rarely
and only for recalibration of battery capacity. Li-ion batteries has
a finite number of (deep) charge cycles and do NOT like to be left
discharged.

I don't know what Leica's instructions are for the initial charge but
that is what Nokia and Motorola manual says for their batteries.

Regards,
Spencer