Subject: [Leica] My M8 is ready to ship
From: jplaurel at spectare.com (Jim Laurel)
Date: Tue Jan 23 16:12:08 2007

Hello everyone,
Good to see the good old LUG is still kicking.  I've been away from
photography for a while working on my startup company: Twango.  The
little photography I've been doing over the last year or so has been
with my 1Ds, which is a beast of a camera.  On my last trip, it spent
most of the time in the hotel safe, while I carried the little C-Lux1
in my pocket.  Plus, the 1Ds has gathered enough sensor dust to start
a sizable hobby farm and I have never been able to clean it all out.
I've ordered one of those Arctic Butterfly things in a last ditch
attempt to make the thing usable again.

I put my order in for an M8 some time ago and just got the call that
my number is up.  It's one of the new batch with all of Solms' finest
German-engineered IR/WB/color cast band aids in place.  Now I have to
decide whether to actually take delivery of the thing.  I've been
reading some of the threads here, on dpreview and on the Leica site
and the situation doesn't seem encouraging.  I have gone from
enthusiastic anticipation of this new camera to utter disappointment.

Many of you know me from years past here on the LUG and how much I
enjoy photography with the M cameras in general.  I'm tempted to take
my M8, but it's difficult to get a rational viewpoint out on the
net.  You ask some hard questions and the fanboys jump in on you,
accuse you of trolling, etc.  I am hoping that my old friends here on
the venerable LUG will be able to help me decide.  You folks are the
only ones I can trust for sage advice as I haven't had a chance to
use an M8 myself, except for a few minutes at the dealer one night.
The test DNGs I shot looked ok, but the JPGs, even at the highest
quality setting were horrible.

Thanks for any comments or advice.  I think at this point, I'd even
like to hear B.D.'s opinion.  ;-)

My very best regards to the LUG family,

--Jim Laurel
Co-Founder, Twango