Subject: [Leica] MY first experience with an M8
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Sun Jan 28 08:49:58 2007

There was a demo from Leica USA  in the Harvard News Office this past week,
and I got a chance to shoot with it a bit -

General Impressions:

*Unquestionably an M - but for the noise level, which is markedly higher
than that of my Olympus E-1 DSLR, it looks and feels like an M in every
respect. Okay, an M after a big Thanksgiving dinner, but an M. Viewfinder is
a bright M viewfinder. A pleasure to hold and frame with.

*Menus - as deep as I went - are well thought out. There's some quirkiness
to the menus, and display system, but there is with every digital camera -
it's just a question of getting used to what you shoot with.

*The removable bottom plate is inane; there had to at least be a way to
hinge it.

* Every time I thought about the total lack of dust and moisture sealing, I
had trouble breathing. I've always been very kind to, and careful of, my
photo equipment, but I couldn't begin to count the number of times they've
been in damp to wet, or dusty environments. With a film M, that's a big 'so
what;' with a digital camera, it can be 'so long.'

Image Impressions and related issues:

*Definitely like-level fine detail resolution - really outstanding. And now
for the bad news...

* Anything shot in low light - dark areas - and anything dark in images -
creates a magenta cast. No, they didn't send along IR cut filters for us,
but I don't consider being forced to use filters a fix for a real defect, I
consider it an insult to the intelligence of the would-be buyer.

*As Jim notes below, no color consistency - white balance consistency - from
image to image in the same scene.

*A general lack of contrast to RAW images - definitely flatter than the
scene itself.

*Painfully slow write speed.

*Unbelievably, painfully, slow card erase and format speeds.

Bottom Line - Cool looking and feeling, reminding me why I'd love to have a
digital M. But as a tool for making quality images, an unmitigated disaster
- particularly at price that's between about 1.9 and 6x that of cameras that
produce better images, and do it with consistency. Yes, it takes Leica M
lenses - but it does not produce Leica results with them.

Have a good month -

B. D.

P.S. Walt's fine.