Subject: [Leica] Elements 5.0 Versus Lightroom 1.0
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue Jan 30 03:32:51 2007

Jim,

my comments on PSE5:

I upgraded to PSE5 a couple of weeks ago because of my desire to be able to
use
levels. That was the single reason. Frankly it does that in a limited way,
but
in my opinion the User Interface to PSE5 is awful.

UI:

I say in my opinion deliberately because it is my opinion, but then that is
what
UI design is all about, providing a good experience to the user. To this
user
the UI singularly fails to do that. The user is forced into a way of
handling
and storing my images which is Adobe's way and not, probably the way that
many
users would want to.

Several of the tools have been moved and the design of the sliders etc
changed.
Previously they had been perfectly OK. If it ain't bust...

Levels:

FWIW I work entirely with TIFFs until I do something like putting the images
in
the LUG gallery; as afr as I am aware all of these comments apply equally to
JPEG manipulation.

Levels, or lack of them, has been for me one of the major differences
between
PSE and PS. My workflow is based upon scanned C41 B&W (BW400CN) images
stored as
RGB TIFFs. Generally I convert these to B&W and then work on them as
required.
Levels is one of the last steps one would go through.

Unfortunately "adjust colour levels" - which is what you get - requires a
colour
image, so you have to work entirely in colour or convert a B&W image back to
colour! The levels that you get from the UI are then only adjustable at
certain
points via sliders, no manual dragging of the curves. The preview seems to
take
a longer time to react than I would have expected, but that is a minor
point.
Finally you cannot save the output from a set of levels adjustments
independently of the image. In other words you can't save the adjustments to
import and re-use.

PSE5 adds a number of features which are aimed at the digital video capture
market and at doing the sorts of things that I guess that most LUGgers
probably
don't do; most of which aren't "traditional photographic" manipulation.

Gripes apart PS/PSE does enable you to do a lot which you couldn't do in a
darkroom and that is its strength.

Peter Dzwig