Subject: [Leica] quick release plates
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Thu Feb 1 07:10:09 2007

Thanks for sharing your experience Leonard. Makes perfect sense
having looked at Wimberly's long lens options. My primary interest is
in the light weight relatively short focal length quick release
system components (while keeping in mind the occasional long needs).
I don't have anything all that heavy (no 300 - 600 2.8's). I've been
using the big Gitzo (hexagon) quick release system (plates on every
body and mounts on 4 tripods and the studio stand) for ever. Rock
solid for view cameras and most anything else. But the plates have
become too big and bulky for the way I'm working now.

I have concerns regarding interchangeability of camera plates to
different mfg mounting plates. I like the "made for body" approach of
the RRS camera plates. But the mounting plates seem pricey. So I
wonder if RRS camera plates work with Kirk, Wimberly, Arca mounts.
RRS indicates that the other's plates don't necessarily work with
their release mounts; but they don't indicate whether their plates
work with the other's release mounts.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com