Subject: [Leica] What Desktop Computer to Buy These Days?
From: dnaplasmid at compwrx.com (Aram Langhans#2)
Date: Thu Feb 1 10:41:16 2007

Definitely late to the show, but I am catching up a bit on mail.  Read
most replys and wonder why, as Leica users, we do not support the little
guy?  I have never purchased a computer for my personal use from a major
player, and I include Apple in this.  I always find some local, stable,
shop and have them build my computer for me.  If something goes wrong, I
can take it down to them and get it fixed pronto.  I get the components
I want and the price is usually cheaper than Dell, HP or Gateway.  Also,
it is not proprietary and I can buy just about any part later and
upgrade either myself or have them do it.  I usually find upgrading is
cheaper if I do it, but building the basic computer is cheaper if they
do it.  Of course, I am not in a large city where I can find a multitude
of cheap components.  When I do visit my in-laws in SoCal, I do venture
into Freys, but I find it always takes two trips to them.  Once to buy
the items and a second trip to replace them with working parts.  Has
happened with drives, Motherboards, CPU's and memory.  I am convinced
their cheap prices are due to seconds.  Just some thoughts from the
trenches.

Aram

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] What Desktop Computer to Buy These Days?)