Subject: [Leica] Planars and vinyl V. CD Subject: Re: [Leica] Planars and vinyl V. CDDate: Thursday, February 1, 2007 8:27 PMFrom: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>To: Leica Users Group <lug@leica-users.org>Conversation: [Leica] Planars and vinyl V. CDOn 2/1/07 7:59 PM, "Luis Ripoll" <luisripoll@telefonica.net> typed:> Hi Len, > > I would like have a beer on my hands discussing with you, and others, about> music. To be short, IMO music principally is a emotional thing, with the use> to be, education etc...., we can progress to new tendencies, i.e. it is> normally difficult that someone who don't knows very much music, like> Schönberg (I've said Schönberg as an extreme). I know many people who was> interested for Italian opera and finally was interested on Wagner too. This> is not my case, I was interested on Wagner when I was 15, and after I liked> the other styles, my actual preferences are more for the North European> Styles (Wagner, Mozart, R. Strauss, Britten....). On my case I like the> voices, normally is quite difficult to follow the words of an opera, I can> understand something on Italian or even a few things in German, but it helps> the projection of the words on a Screen. For me Wagner is not heavy, his> operas are long, but no more than some Mozart's or Handel's ones, when you> start to be introduced in his musical and philosophical World is really> interesting and (for me) passionating, but Mozart too and many others.> > Thank you to look at my website, this is a lot of work, and it is very> difficult to find employees that they have the knowledge and the motivation> to describe and put the correct information for every CD/DVD. > > Thanks again Len, of course we can chat more about music, but maybe> offline..., our photography friends will be not happy if we have too long> musical discussions.> > Saludos cordiales> Luis> >I am a big fan of late Romantic Music. And no so modern modern. And you don't meet many people sitting next to you on the Bus who coincidently shares that hobby. Or profession.I'm into Mahler, Gustav (1860-1911) pretty heavy. With some fava beans and a nice Chianti. Also into Elgar, Edward (1857-1934)VERY heavy into Shostakovich, Dmitri (1906-1975)LOVE Sibelius, Jean (1865-1957)And very fond of your man Wagner, Richard (1813-1883)And getting more into "Modern" I like a lot Strauss, Richard (1864-1949) no monkey business. Sir Walton, William (1902-1983) was great when he played for Portland. I can listen to his stuff anytime. Great for housework! I went to the Barber, Samuel (1913-1981) a few hours ago and got a haircut. Now I'm a clean cut egghead. Most theses people I have at least their complete symphony "cycle" as the Penguin guys say. And have them down pretty well. I can that tune in...... From any movement you might put on. Mark RabinerNew York, NY40°47'59.79"N 73°57'32.37"Wmarkrabiner.com
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Feb 1 19:03:42 2007

On 2/1/07 7:59 PM, "Luis Ripoll" <luisripoll@telefonica.net> typed:

> Hi Len,
>
> I would like have a beer on my hands discussing with you, and others, about
> music. To be short, IMO music principally is a emotional thing, with the
> use
> to be, education etc...., we can progress to new tendencies, i.e. it is
> normally difficult that someone who don't knows very much music, like
> Sch?nberg (I've said Sch?nberg as an extreme). I know many people who was
> interested for Italian opera and finally was interested on Wagner too. This
> is not my case, I was interested on Wagner when I was 15, and after I liked
> the other styles, my actual preferences are more for the North European
> Styles (Wagner, Mozart, R. Strauss, Britten....). On my case I like the
> voices, normally is quite difficult to follow the words of an opera, I can
> understand something on Italian or even a few things in German, but it
> helps
> the projection of the words on a Screen. For me Wagner is not heavy, his
> operas are long, but no more than some Mozart's or Handel's ones, when you
> start to be introduced in his musical and philosophical World is really
> interesting and (for me) passionating, but Mozart too and many others.
>
> Thank you to look at my website, this is a lot of work, and it is very
> difficult to find employees that they have the knowledge and the motivation
> to describe and put the correct information for every CD/DVD.
>
> Thanks again Len, of course we can chat more about music, but maybe
> offline..., our photography friends will be not happy if we have too long
> musical discussions.
>
> Saludos cordiales
> Luis

I am a big fan of late Romantic Music. And no so modern modern. A A tonal.
And you don't meet many people sitting next to you on the Bus who
coincidently shares that profusion. But the LUG is different.
I'm into Mahler, Gustav (1860-1911) pretty heavy and there's not a lot of
light Mahler going on of any kind.. Usually Mahler guys and gals shoot with
Rollei 6000 series. With added battery packs and funny remotes. I stick to
Leicas and Hasselblads. Speaking of which I LOVE Sibelius, Jean (1865-1957)
who was not Swedish but may have known a few next door.
Also into Elgar, Edward (1857-1934) and all the Smultzy variations. Plus a
few..
VERY heavy into Shostakovich, Dmitri (1906-1975) Who I think out Mahler's
Mahler half the time.
And very fond of your man Wagner, Richard (1813-1883) but would not like to
get stuck with him on a desert island. With only one coconut tree.
And getting more into "Modern" and more Richards I like a lot Strauss,
Richard (1864-1949) no monkey business.
Sir Walton, William (1902-1983) was great when he played for Portland.
I can listen to his stuff anytime. Great for housework!
I went to the Barber, Samuel (1913-1981) a few hours ago and got a haircut.
Now I'm a clean cut egghead. (really)
"Under the willow tree, two doves cry ah oh"
Most these people I have at least their complete symphony "cycle" if they
wrote any as the Penguin guys say. And have them down pretty well.
I can name that tune in...... From any movement you might put on.
Half the time I turn on the radio I have it in a few bars. The classical
station.
But I like other kinds of music too.
Mississippi John Hurt. Candy man!
You name it!
He's "classical" if you ask me.
Show tunes. Jazz. Rock and roll.
Sometimes the best music to play in the darkroom is Trance.
Or House.
Or Disco.

Depending on how you want your prints to come out.
When you see them hanging there in the morning.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N
73?57'32.37"W

markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Planars and vinyl V. CD Subject: Re: [Leica] Planarsand vinyl V. CDDate: Thursday, February 1, 2007 8:27 PMFrom: Mark Rabiner<mark@rabinergroup.com>To: Leica Users Group<lug@leica-users.org>Conversation: [Leica] Planars and vinyl V. CDOn2/1/07)