Subject: [Leica] Anyone using National Photographic bags?
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Sat Feb 3 17:37:35 2007

Quoth the Nathan Wajsman :

> Being a bag fetishist, I am always looking to try new brands. The
> Nat. Geo. branded bags look good on the web site, but I have not be
> able to find any in a shop here. Is anyone out there using them, and
> if so, how do you like them? How do they compare with Domke?

I've looked at them in a couple of shops here, and didn't care for
them.

They're made of a lighter and looser-weave fabric than the Domke, and
don't seem to be made with anything like the same quality or intent
for serious use.  They're tourist bags self-conciously "designed for
the adventure trip" -- reminiscent of an SUV with the roof rack with
shovels and ramps,  light bar, fore-and-aft winches etc. that you
just know NEVER goes off a well-paved and well-lit highway.  Best
guess, I'd wear one out in a year or so.

Expect to see them all over the new Indiana Jones movie.

For my money, stick with the known brands. --

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com
Photojournalist                               rcmckee@rcmckee.com
P O Box 571900                           voice/fax   713/783-3502
Houston, TX 77257-1900                   cell phone #  on request