Subject: [Leica] Nikon 8000 scanner for XPAN?
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sun Feb 4 10:19:23 2007

There is an xpan specific mask supplied, along with masks for 6x9,
6x7, 6x6, 6x4.5 and another which I believe is a scientific standard,
with the FH-869GR holder which is a disappointingly expensive but
superb holder for the Nikon 8000 and 9000 scanners. I have used mine
extensively with my 8000 for Xpan, Rolleiflex and Mamiya 7 negatives
I am very happy with the results. The scanner senses from a hole
pattern in the carrier and masks which one is fitted and the
appropriate sized scan area is subsequently output automatically.
The only downside is cost but since I had already splashed out on the
scanner for MF I decided not to do the "mod" for Xpan some people
have by drilling holes in a cheaper carrier to fool the scanner into
scanning Xpan size.
I am not sure a flatbed scanner would do adequate justice to the Xpan
negatives.
Frank