Subject: [Leica] IMG: M Camera Grip
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Wed Feb 7 07:40:40 2007

I was reading about handling the M8 here:

<http:www.luminous-lsndscape.com/reviews/accessories/m8-grip.shtml>

The writer mentioned earlier M's needing some sort of grip.  I've been
using an inexpensive solution that works for my cameras, but unfortunately
won't work on the M8, because of the relocated tripod socket (I never had a
problem with its location on the end of the body).

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/M_Handles_AMR.jpg.htm
l>

The longer handle is from an old broom, the short one was 25 cents US at
American Science and Surplus.  I just drilled and inserted 1/4-20 bolts
that have a wood screw on one end.  With the strap wrapped around my wrist,
the handle nestles in my fingers and gives good leverage and grip for
street photography.  I love the way these fit the rounded ends of Leicas.

Old-timers might notice the Schwalberg strap.  These are great for wearing
an M on your shoulder under a coat, when you don't want to be without the
camera, but need to be able to get it into use without removing the jacket.

Alan

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer
Photo Services