Subject: [Leica] Rollei
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Feb 7 19:02:51 2007

There were six basic families of 120 TLR cameras
produced by Franke & Heidecke and its successors,
of which two survive into these days.

There were the "original" Rolleiflex TLR's
through the New Standard of 1939.  These cameras
had Zeiss Jena Tessar lenses and viewing lenses
from OAS, the Zeiss plant at Saalfeld (new part
of Docter Optic Technologies).  Film loading and advance was entirely manual.

There were the Rolleicord line;  most had
three-element Zeiss Jena Triotar lenses but
towards the end they were upgraded, if the word
works, to four-element Schneider Xenars <he
grins>.  These cameras also had manual film
the final one, the Vb, though it was still limited by that four-element lens.

There was the Automat line which featured
"automatic" film loading.  These sported Zeiss
Jena and Zeiss-Opton and Carl Zeiss Tessars and
Biometars and Planars and JSK Xenars and Xenotars
in a rather dizzying array which is a bit hard to
condense to a quick e-mail summary.  The line
started with the original Automat around 1936 and
ended with the final gold and platinum plated
2.8F's in the middle 1980's.  Both Franke and
Heidecke sent their kids through college on the
proceeds from these, and then ended up almost
bankrupting themselves in pouring money back into
the firm, in a manner similar to that which hit the Leitz family.

There were the Postwar Rolleimagic family, a
rather unfortunate marriage of a selenium meter
integrated into its controls.  Not my cup of tea,
but some guys love 'em.  These had JSK Xenar lenses.

There were the Tele-Rollei and the
Rollei-Weitwinkel made in the 1960's.  The
Rollei-Weitwinkel has recently been reintroduced
to general yawns of disinterest from the Rollei
community.  There have been several announcements
of a revival of the Tele-Rollei which would be of
much more interest to that community but it, so
far, has been all smoke and no fire, with claims
of "it's on!" followed by "no, it's not" and the like.

Finally, a simplified version of the Automat was
introduced in the late 1950's as the Rolleiflex
T.  The current GX and FX cameras have Rolleiflex
T bodies with 2.8F lenses.  These cameras do not
have "Automat" loading.  The 2.8GX and FX enjoy a
feature unique in camera history, "TTVL" (through the viewing lens) metering.

Then there are the 127 "Baby" Rolleiflexes and
the older stereo cameras from which the TLR was developed.

Me?  I only own five Leica bodies (IIIc, IIIf
RD/ST,  IIIg, M3 DS, and M6 Wetzlar) but I own
six Rolleis (Postwar Automat Type 3, Rolleicord
IV, 2.8F 12/24, 2.8GX, Prewar 3.5 Baby, Baby
Grey).  But, what the hey, I have two Retinas,
two Ikoflices, and three Hasselblads as well, along with a few others.

In general terms, the Rolleicord was the economy
model.  The lenses were adequate but do not
measure up to the stiff standards set by the
"big" Rolleis.  I have never had a Rolleiflex
which failed to give me great service but then,
other than my two M4's, I've never suffered
disappointment at the hands of a Leica, either.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Rollei)