Subject: [Leica] Re: Kodak woes
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Feb 8 16:14:32 2007

On 2/8/07 2:53 PM, "David Young" <telyt@telus.net> typed:

> Larry Z wrote:
>

>> The only good news is that the production of 35 mm film stock will
>> continue for some time, at least pending a large scale movie industry
>> switch to digital.
>
> This is not too likely, Larry.  A fair number of movies are being
> shot on video, these days, but are then converted to film, for
> distribution, as the theaters are not willing to make the huge
> investments in digital projectors ... at least until they know that a
> projector will be good for, say, 15 to 20 years ... as their film
> projectors are.  In the digital age, this is not too likely!

Has anyone been able to prove a tie in between motion picture stock
availability and our availability of film? If they have I'd like to see it
becuae I don't think so.
Might be the case though for those like myself who shoot 70mm.
We need George Lukas but he's deserted us. So much for ends.
But I don't think so for 35mm stock.
The films are not the same stock for one.

And an interesting bit of conjecture by David Young as to the industry being
affected by motion picture theater owners perception of digital projectors
not having legs.
My conjecture is that that would not be the case at all. And that these
people don't control the industry. And if they did they'd not worry about
the life of their digital projectors and if they did worry about it if it
would be enough to scare them off as if they'd have that option.

I saw ''Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones'' projected digitally in
Portland celluloid free and it made super 8 look in your basement like Tod
AO super panorama in Radio city music hall.
It was dark, murky, soft, blurry. Like looking through a keyhole.
But otherwise just fine. Even the sound was bad.
>From 70mm to this!

That was 2002 and its a brave new world by now. There's 20 different digital
projectors being sold in the B&H catalog I'm sure one of them is ok.

Georges next Star Wars he had prints made. Some 70mm ones even.

Special effects flicks are half shot RGB Pixelation they might was well be
called digital.

I think its only 10 or 20 percent now shot digital.
It may not take over as fast as digital took over from film in the still
end.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N