Subject: [Leica] Rome in May
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Thu Feb 8 23:32:29 2007

Alastair:  When we were in Rome, we stayed at the Hotel Adriano, in
"medieval Rome."  Lots of narrow, twisty streets, and very short blocks--it
was possible to get lost in 10 paces.  But very centrally located.  If I
recall correctly, the rates were reasonable, breakfast was included, and
the staff speaks English.  Our room was tiny, but the bed was long and
confortable.

We took a bus tour to Pompeii, a place I have had a fascination with since
I first read about it as a kid.  I have mixed feelings about the
tour.  They picked us up at the hotel, and we did get a walking tour of
Pompeii guided by a retired Professore.  But they also herded us to a
couple of tourist traps along the road, including a rather embarrassing
lunchtime serenade, all of which took time we would rather have spent in
Pompeii itself.  On the other hand, we did see a bit of the north end of
the Amalfi coast.  If you don't mind driving, or taking the train to Naples
and a bus to Pompeii, that might be more efficient.  Maybe stay in Naples
overnight, see the museum where all the artifacts are. Maybe even take the
boat to Capri while you're there.

Our entire trip consisted of Rome for three days, plus Pompeii. Then a
train to Siena, where we rented a car and drove around Tuscany.  Then
another train to Venice.  Here's a link to my pictures from the trip (many
are of minilab prints scanned on a flatbed, as I didn't get my film scanner
until later).
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/italy/

I *love* Italy. The people, the food, the wine, the buildings, the
art.  Even if half the telephones didn't work.  The trains ran pretty much
on time--but often not from the announced platform.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Rome in May)