Subject: [Leica] Week 5 and WayBack 5 posted
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Fri Feb 9 15:33:13 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 9:47 AM, Lottermoser George and Mark wrote:

> "why the vertical crop."

This is likely a hell of a lot more than anyone wants to hear,  but I
guess we talk about mental process from time to time.

The long version:

I'd seen this church before and shot it. I love its colors and
textures. Its location is also rather desolately appealing.

Went by last weekend again and stopped. Tried several angles with a
35 and a 21. Its sitting in an open field by itself was what was
getting my attention. The side angle (shooting toward east) appealed
to me for a number of reason including simpler background (house and
trailer to the west).

The full building in horizontal was interesting against the field and
a nice cloudy sky. But, it was just sort of lazy, a nice enough
pastoral, but it just didn't move me.

In walking around the church a couple of times, I came closer to the
front and was drawn up by the steeple which was set against the nice
sky. It pointed up and drew my eye with it.

My seen shot included a second side window. When I started cropping I
dropped out some foreground grass. I cropped as I had seen the photo,
with two side windows. It felt unbalanced, so I decided to give it a
little goose and drop one window. That felt more stable and reached
into the sky better.

There's been lots of pano talk here lately, so I've found myself
seeing that way more often. That likely made me open to this
interpretation.

BTW the sky is done with levels on the actual sky.

The short version:

I cropped off everything that didn't look like part of the picture;^)

Ric

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Week 5 and WayBack 5 posted)
Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Week 5 and WayBack 5 posted)
Message from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([Leica] Week 5 and WayBack 5 posted)