Subject: [Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Sat Feb 10 16:30:26 2007

Brian Reid wrote:

>> What are your impressions of the following lenses?
>>> Canon EF 24-70mm L f2.8 USM
>>>
>>> Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
>>>
>>> Canon EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM
>
> I have all of those lenses. I'm not much of an ultrawide guy, so I
> use the 16-35 only for architectural interior shots, and I get it off
> the camera as fast as I can. The 70-200 is a great lens, but it's
> tremendously heavy and increases the weight of an already heavy
> camera. The IS works, but you wouldn't need it if the camera weighed
> less.
>
> If I'm shooting people with the Canon, I put the 85/1.2L on it and
> stop thinking about the lens. It's a lens of the same quality as a
> Summilux 75 ASPH but it requires that I lug around a giant Canon
> DSLR. If I'm shooting anything else, or if I'm just carrying the
> camera around in case I need to shoot something, I put the 24-70/2.8L
> on it.

These are all good points.  I've got all 3 lenses and I probably use the
16-35 a bit more just because I do like the occasional wide point of
view or I need it in close quarters; the 70-200 is wonderful but very
heavy and not in the least bit inconspicuous (its probably drawn more
comments from bystanders than any lens I've owned); and the 24-70 is a
very nice medium zoom which I use for general purpose shooting and in
particular snaps of the dogs and the dog people in the house.

I do however wish you people would quit saying all these nice things
about the 85 1.2. I don't have that one yet...

;-)

--Bob

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re:not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] not entirely OT: the recurrent dilemma)