Subject: [Leica] Google Library Article
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Feb 14 14:21:17 2007

On 2/14/07 3:58 PM, "Jim Shulman" <jshul@comcast.net> typed:

> I agree with both Philippe and Tina:
> At present, reading large amounts of test on screen can be a chore.
> However, smaller devices are making it much, much easier.
>
> The real benefit for a universal online library is to provide information
> places where it would have previously been impossible (or cost-prohibitive)
> to do so.
>
> Jim Shulman
> Bryn Mawr, PA

I normally can't read more than three paragraphs on screen. I'm pix-lexic.
If its longer than that I print it out. Read it at the table or later.
And I lay out an extra few bucks and print on on above average real white
paper and a considered choice of typeface. Which is Adobe Garamond Pro. 12
or 14 point.
Often at a better quality setting. Better resolution and blacks. Takes
longer. I don't car.
Often I'll reformat things to become two column.
Which is the way the Edgar Rice Burroughs and Dickens stuff was first read
by the public becuae it was all pulp fiction.
And Zorro.
The Curse of Capistrano,
Johnston McCulley,

I love books. Love magazines. I pick a book by its cover. It never fails me.
That old adage never pick a book by its cover?
Wrong
Love graphics. Love type. Love paper.
Love pictures.

But sometimes what I have on me to read is a bunch of printouts from emails
and stuff I've found on the internet. I fold it a certain way. Sometimes
there are pictures in there.

The most i've ever read on my monitor was last night and from this website.
http://www.vwam.com/vets/tet/tet.html
I went clear down to the bottom of the page.
It was a record! I read slow took me an hour.
I'll print out other sections but if this guy had this on a book I'd buy it.

Love a book which fits in my back pocket. Or any pocket.

Right now I'm re reading Salinger. They fit in any pocket-   He insists on
that. Not vest pocket. And look great. Minimalist white covers. Which he may
of designed himself or had a lot of input into.
First time read them I was too young. 13. Now I'm too old. 56
But they're like a tour guide of New York. Which is why I thought of it.
And the book was smiling out be on the bookshelves at the columbia
university bookstore. Where he took a writing course hence the book I'd
think.. So his ghost was in the room. And he's not even dead.

A book is an efficient way of storing and dispensing information. Pulp or no
pulp. Stumps of mystery or not.
And you can put bookshelves on all your walls and on these cold nights
you'll have plenty of insulation.

Pixels have no warmth.
They are cold. They make my eyes dance around.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N
73?57'32.37"W