Subject: [Leica] OT: medium format film and airport security
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sat Feb 17 23:33:49 2007

On 18/02/2007, at 18:23, Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Next month I am going for a week to Val d'Isere. Because I need to
> travel light, taking the DSLR outfit is out of the question, so
> instead I will be taking the Ricoh GRD and the Bronica rangefinder
> outfit--it all fits in the Domke 803 shoulder bag.
>
> I will be flying from Amsterdam to Geneva. I have never before
> flown carrying medium format film, but I remember reading somewhere
> that it is more prone to fogging from the hand luggage x-rays
> because the film is not enclosed in a metal canister, as is the
> case with 35mm film. I have flown with 35mm on many occasions,
> including Neopan 1600, and have never seen any sign of fogging,
> even after 4-6 passes through x-ray machines. The MF film I will be
> taking will be no faster than 400. Should I be taking any special
> precautions other than the obvious one of not putting the film in
> checked baggage?

Roll film does not seem to be much more sensitive, but I too have
worried. I would do one of 2 things: if you don't have too much film,
wear baggy trousers and carry the film in your pocket: it does not
have the metal cannister, so it also does not set off metal
detectors. With the paranoia of security however, I now carry it in a
double lead bag.

Cheers

alastair

Replies: Reply from phamard at numericable.fr (Philippe Amard) ([Leica] OT: medium format film and airport security)