Subject: [Leica] I Tried an M8; Color Question
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Sun Feb 18 08:37:11 2007

Don Dory wrote:

> Don't sweat the wb Bob.  Shoot in DNG and all will be very well
> indeed. Minor tweaking in the converter of your choice, not much
> different than color film but faster and easier. Forget the jpg's,
> raw is good.

Don, I should have been more clear.  The shots I posted had to be
converted to .jpg to be uploaded but the original shots were
.dng; I have only shot raw files for the last several years. I merely
opened these .dng image files in the beta of Adobe Lightroom and I
immediately noticed the odd (to me) color shift as the ISO had been
adjusted upward when they were made; I did no sharpening or color
management whatsoever.

To reiterate my original question:

> One question I have is about the color it produced on my test;  I may
> be having brain fade and not remembering something I should know, but
> please take a look at these 4 test shots from ISO 160 to 2500 (you
> can see the ISO of each when you click through from the thumbnails to
> the full size images) and tell me why there is such a color shift as
> the ISO increases:  http://www.bobbaron.com/M8TestFeb07/index.htm

I'm trying to be an observer, not a complainer.  I'm just curious as to
'why'.

And while we are talking I've got one more question for those of you
with better color vision than me (probably most all of you; I've got
typical male red-green anomalous vision to some small but apparent
degree):  I made it a point to include the rack with black LowePro
gadget bags in the right 1/3 of these shots....I assume they contain
some synthetic material and was wondering if they would display the
infamous magenta color cast.  Do they?

Again, I like the camera overall and I'm sure I'll add one to my bag at
some point.  These are just questions I'm asking.

The LUG is one of the few places I can get answers......all kinds of
answers....  ;-)  ;-)

Thanks and best regards,

--Bob

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] I Tried an M8; Color Question)