Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG The light of a kiss
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Feb 21 11:13:48 2007

I think part of the problem of is this a great or failed shot is the use of
the caption. Caption use is a mixed bag it limits the shot. And can miss
direct you.

I have an odd theory that without the caption Ted and Ir?ne may have not
negatively responded to the shot and any others who also did so.

I kind of responded positively but had this gnawing doubt. Almost bit my paw
off!

First of all look at the position of the heads on the shot.
This is no kiss shot.
No kiss being blanked out by back light.
Their lips are 4 maybe 4 inches away.

Maybe they are about to kiss.
Maybe they just finished kissing.
Maybe they are thinking about the kiss they did yesterday.
Or thinking "does she or doesn't she".
But right now there is no kiss. And no blanked out kiss.

To me - no corny caption maybe great shot.

The light kind of is like the energy between theses people intermingling.
That's what I saw. And tried to ignore the title which is way limiting to
what might be really going on. And all the black space above it good.

putting the word "kiss" into it as a caption and then that's what the shot
is all about -- its limiting and frustrating because you have to figure out
if that's really happening or not and I think your minds eye knows its not.

Even if it was its best not to say so in words below the image.

And a phrase like " The light of a kiss" is too specific and corny sounding.
Hence you don't see stuff like that anymore.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY

markrabiner.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Re: LUG The light of a kiss)