Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG The light of a kiss
From: FELIXMATURANA at telefonica.net (Félix López de Maturana)
Date: Wed Feb 21 14:25:04 2007

> reply-type=response
>
> F?lix L?pez de Maturana offered about this photograph:
> Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG The light of a kiss

>> > But Luis, this is merely a *great* image!<<<<
>>

> But Felix how can you possibly say that when the back light blows away the
> couple supposedly kissing?
>
> The concept is beautiful, "Lovers in a moment of kissing!" A wonderful bit
> of seeing on the part of Luis! Unfortunately the execution of shooting the
> concept failed!  :-(
>
> Here's an example reaction..... I opened the screen to show my wife the
> photograph without saying anything more than..... "Dear, look at this."
> Her
> immediate reaction with 56 years experience of looking at photographs
> was..." It's a great picture accept for this!"
>
>  ..... Placing her finger on the screen right on the blown out back
> lighting!
>
> Hey and I never prompted her, it was her instant re-action!
>
> So F?lix please, my question again?..... "how can you say it's a great
> picture?"  It is without question a beautiful imaginative seen moment.
> Unfortunately it isn't a great picture as we see it! The blown out light
> destroys it!
>
> NOTE FOR LUIS:
> Luis if you read this post, I suggest you re-shoot this simply because it
> has such wonderful potential, even if you take along a couple of friends
> and
> have them pose, it would truly make a "great picture!"  Change the
> exposure,
> bracket several frames and fill the frame tighter on the couple so the
> back
> light doesn't blow out the details separating their kiss!  Use the same
> position!
>
> And obviously re-post as we're holding our breathe until we see the
> re-shoot.
>
> Now this is the kind of thing we can do on the LUG that helps people learn
> how to do it right!
>
> Certainly instead of a simple comment.... "great picture!" When obviously
> it
> isn't! The concept and seeing it superb, As will be the re-shoot! Go for
> it
> Luis!
> ted
>

> ------------------------------
[
[
[
[

Hello Ted

I've said that is a *great* image and at the risk of contradicting some
of the most important photographers of the LUG I still say it is. I'll
try to explain my opinion through my very poor English: very often we
judge the pictures for the composition, the beauty of the subject, the
skill of the author mastering the technical elements, the color balance
and so on. But with this image the *blow* was immediate. This image
communicated in a silhouette form the exploding  love of a couple  that
when  approached themselves  were a  emitting light  pair of human
beings. It's an image that speaks to me, that transmit some sentiments.
The idea was so magnificent that I had no time to analyze the abundant
formal defects of the picture. This may sound tawdry but it's exactly my
feeling.  And you can believe that the fact that Luis is a Spaniard too
has not conditioned my opinion.

Regards.

Felix.