Subject: [Leica] Re:Hasselblad's newest.... Really not OT.....
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Thu Feb 22 11:11:29 2007

Mark speaks The Truth.

Whole lotta Hassy stuff in stores at GREAT prices.

Bob

On Feb 22, 2007, at 11:06, Mark Rabiner wrote:

On 2/22/07 10:44 AM, "Christopher Williams"
<leicachris@worldnet.att.net>
typed:

> They may be a little more than a niche player now as there are allot of
> commercial/fashion photog's using the H system now. Some
> backlash on the H3 though as it will only accept the digital Hassy
> backs 22mp
> and 39mp.
>
> Chris

A different use of the term "Niche" though less existential than Leicas.
In the sense of Hasselblads its for high end commercial photography
done for
catalogs and large display pieces. Often tethered using software which
makes
for all your sheets and pillowcases and curtains all matching up in the
end
with little to no post processing. Instead of hundreds to thousands of
dollars worth of post processing.
Its large format digital photography. And of course can be used for
fine art
photographers whole vision includes that level of quality. Or sized
output.

> From the Epson at Photokina IN Cologne booth Harold Cummer had grabbed
> and
showed me a 13x19 black and white print on fine art matt paper taken
with an
H3 which made me think I was wearing 3d platinum glasses. Knocked my
socks
off certainly blowing output from both APS-2 and 24x36 digital output
right
out the window. Much more that a film 35mm to medium format comparison.

medium format film had been used by a lot of not so great wedding
photographers  and shlock commercial photographers who really didn't
need
it. What they needed was square format. And they needed to be holding a
Swedish built Hasselblad in their hands. An image thing.
They are now shooting with DSLRs which gives people the idea that the
quality on DSLRs "replaces" the quality you'd get with the film
Hasselblad.
And that's just nowhere near the case.
These people were not having 20x24 inch prints made of their weddings
with
any persistence at all. They could have been shooting it with a Robot
(square format camera) and a few shots of the bride and groom with slow
film
if a very large print was part of the package. Otherwise they could be
shooting the whole thing with 400 speed 35mm film.

There's a blurring between medium format digital and large format
digital as
the same backs are often used. And the sizes of the chips are so funny.
The
medium format backs are only recently coming vaguely close to full
format
which is not square medium format but 645. And large format backs for
sheet
film cameras have sensors about the size of medium format film from all
can tell.

Right now the used market is flooded with Hasselblad gear going for a
decimal point of its worth 5 years ago. And true worth now.
Go  to your camera stores used glass case and pick up a Hasselblad body
with
back and lens for the same price than just a body cost a couple a years
ago.
Or half that. Backs are a hundred bucks instead of a thousand. (ok used
vs.
new) and the best deal of all is the Zeiss glass a reason for using
Hasselblad in the first place even if you didn't need a modular camera.
Those lenses are being given away free to every 4th person who walks up
the counter for the purchase of a Zeiss filter or lens cap.

The best deal you've ever had in photography would probably be when you
got
into Hasselblad NOW. Before the impossible happens. Which of course its
going to and soon. A consumer priced medium format digital back.
Don't wait. Go now.
You are loosing money every second you wait on that new used Hassy
setup.
I'd get a loan and get several backs and lenses. A spare body. Different
prisms. I almost forgot about the cool Man from U.N.C.L.E. prisms.
I think you can get a 20,000 dollar Hassy full typical set up for 5000.
With some room for slight exaggeration. And the occasional impossible.

As much as I love Leica with such a setup you will be photographically
enabled to the very highest extent. Not a whole lot you're not going to
be
able to shoot. Film or digital.

Scott Evil: It's no hassle...
Dr. Evil: Shot it!
Scott Evil: But...
Dr. Evil: Been there. Shot it!
Scott Evil: Would...
Dr. Evil: Shot it! !... Knock-knock.
Scott Evil: Who's there?
Dr. Evil: Shot it! !
Scott Evil: But...
Dr. Evil: Let me tell you a little story about a man named Shot it! !
Shot
it! ! even before you start. That was a pre-emptive " Shot it! " Now, I
have
a whole bag of " Shot it! " with your name on it.

Polly want a
SHOT IT!

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY