Subject: [Leica] 90/2.8 R vs. 90/2 R??
From: rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw)
Date: Fri Feb 23 11:58:13 2007

This thing about skin textures is very real.  Believe it or not, I shot
a B&W portrait of my sister-in-law (probably a mistake in the first
place) using really soft available light through a window using the R
Vario Elmarit 28-90 Asph at 90mm.

I stopped it a 5.6 for a little bokeh beginning just behind her ears.

Me?  I was very proud of it.  A really great likeness of her with,
typical Leica Elmarit gradations using Ilford XP-2 S Super.  Minimal
Contrast and Brightness adjustments and a very minor crop in Photoshop
Elements.

Says she hates it.  So I Photoshopped it.  A crease here, a mole there.
  Nothing draconian.  You know the drill.  She still hates it.

Why?  You got it; too detailed.

I have the portrait in my home office.  I still like it.

But now I know why, years ago, Zeiss came up with their Softar lens
line, and why a lot of old portrait and Hollywood movie photogs had a
jar of Vaseline in their Grip Bag.  Imagine cleaning that off the lens
after the shoot.  Yuk!

Alas...

Oh - one more thing:  The 28-90 stays, dammit!!!

Cheers

Bob