Subject: [Leica] huge scan of first photo
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Feb 24 13:02:37 2007

(2597x1805, 1874 KB)
I was just searching of histories of photographic processes and found on
Wikipedia, my favorite new info tool, a huge scan of

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/View_from_the_Window_at_L
e_Gras%2C_Joseph_Nic?phore_Ni?pce.jpg

Ni?pce' s first snapshot. Which took 8 hours and therefore it says has the
sun shining on both sides of the building. That I'm not seeing by the way.
But I've got one heck of a desktop or screensaver now. And  you will too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:View_from_the_Window_at_Le_Gras%2C_Joseph
_Nic?phore_Ni?pce.jpg

That's 2597 pixies across!

No shoeshine guy though. He must have been another roll.

Interestingly they don't say this is the first photograph.
They say this is the 's earliest surviving photograph Ni?pce did.
And than after doing it particular shot he gave up on the whole process and
brought in some guy named Daguerre. Then he died. Means I'll not be making
to many Ni?pceograms in the near future without a face mask and rubber
gloves.

Make sure Ni?pceogram gets put in your spell checker. Its an important term
I just made it up.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY

markrabiner.com