Subject: [Leica] LHSA meet in Santa Fe
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sat Feb 24 15:54:40 2007

Brian Reid wrote:

In my opinion, the best "Mexican" restaurant in the world (actually New
Mexican, but that difference is lost on most non-fanatics) is about a 1-hour
drive away from Santa Fe:

http://www.ranchodechimayo.com/

I'm toying with the idea of attending this Spring Shoot, but my decision
will probably hinge on whether I can get reservations at Rancho de Chimayo
while I'm down there.
=================================

I like it too but I wouldn't go as far as "world's best". ;-)  It's very
charming though.

The Mexican/NM distinction is something they take pretty seriously up in
that part of the state.  Those folks settled in the area around 400 yrs
ago.  They see their cultural history as Spanish, not Mexican.  Until fairly
recently there was hardly any Mexican influence in central and northern NM.
That's changing now, but the areas north of SF are still pretty isolated and
still mostly old-blood Spanish or Indio-Spanish.

Albuquerque has both Mexican and New Mexican restaurants.  The Mexican ones
often feature seafood ("mariscos").  Mexican restaurants are typically in
working class neighborhoods and cater to Mexican clientele.  My neighborhood
has a nice assortment of them, and also a good Mexican grocery where you can
get some tasty specalty items made up from scratch.  But five years ago none
of that was there.

There's a lot to see and do in Albuquerque if you get tired of SF.  What are
the dates of the LHSA meeting?

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE