Subject: [Leica] Re: GPS
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Feb 25 12:46:00 2007

On 2/25/07 3:22 PM, "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@comcast.net> typed:

> At 02:32 PM 2/25/2007, Adam Bridge wrote:
>> The GPS constellation orbits about 12,000 miles above the surface, NOT
>> in low Earth orbit. The satellite the Chinese hit was about 500 miles
>> up. This is useful for hitting spy satellites but getting up to 12,000
>> miles is a different kettle of fish and MUCH  more difficult. There's
>> a reason they are that high.
>>
>> Add in the ESA constellation at 14,000 miles or so and you have a
>> difficult problem. Vehicles built to reach either constellation are
>> NOT aircraft launchable and I think they are sufficiently large as to
>> be not portable-launch either.
>>
>> Since shooting at either constellation would be a serious act of war
>> in and of itself a ballistic response to the launch sites would be
>> possible and likely. I believe no nation on the planet has the launch
>> capability to go after the constellations at one time. The launch
>> facilities would be unlikely to survive a reload. So you might hit a
>> segment of GPS or Galileo's capability but you'd be hard pressed to
>> get a lot of them.
>
> All excellent points, Adam.  However:
>
> The Red Chinese do not have the capability to
> take out the GPS satellites TODAY.  They are
> working to have that capability within a decade
> and may well do so.  We also do not know what
> effect EMP will have on the GPS grid.  The recent
> test was just a first trial of what appears to be a lengthy program.
>
> The Chinese would only take out the GPS
> satellites if war with the US were imminent.  It
> would be an act of war.  They would only do this
> to hinder our ability to bomb their cities and
> installations, which would also be an act of
> war.  I do not believe that the PRC is actively
> working towards war;  it simply seems committed
> to maintaining peace by being prepared for war.
>
> US defense analysts have been quite concerned
> over this for the past decade or so.  That's why
> the military services continue to use celestial
> navigation as a back-up system.
>
> Sobering thoughts.
>
> msmall@aya.yale.edu
> Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Yes but all the millions of GPS using Chinese would really get ticked off
and they vote.
The Chinese military are making sure they are GPS non dependant?
I think that would be tricky as of late you cant get a leather strap for
case which is not GPS dependent. I think my new shoe laces are GPS
dependant.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY